Pupil Sports Funding 2016/17 Plan
The Cathedral School of St Mary – Primary Sports Funding 2016/17
What is this funding and what is its purpose?
The government is providing funding during 2016/17 academic year to improve provision of Physical Education and sport in primary schools.
The funding, provided jointly by the Department of Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport for our school amounts to £8470.
This funding is ring-fenced for the sole purpose of improving the provision of our delivery and the children’s enjoyment of sport throughout the school.
What are we using our funding for?
The Cathedral School of St Mary is committed to providing opportunities to develop the whole child. Having exceeded our expectations and achieved the gold Mark last year we remain committed and determined to provide he best possible experiences for our children.
It is important to us that our children are encouraged to live healthy, active lives; they enjoy and participate in physical activity; they develop the confidence skills and attributes associated with good sportsmanship and leadership as well as be given opportunities to engage in competitive sport and coaching. We are proud of our dynamic and varied school spirit and would like to promote and celebrate our community through sport.
This year we will use the funding to provide the following opportunities but the list is not exhaustive and we will look for opportunities throughout the year:
Being a member of the ‘Plymouth Schools Sports Partnership which includes:
o Full Plymouth SSP ‘Core Offer’ including Coaching Days, access to Citywide Competitions, website membership, MTA and Play Leader Training etc.
o Specialist Partnership PE Teachers work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
o Specialist Partnership PE Teachers to set-up and deliver Change4Life sports clubs
o Professional development opportunities in PE/sport
o ‘Family’ run sport competitions (at least one per half-term) to engage in competitive sports and activities in line with the National Curriculum
o Providing quality assured professional development courses and materials for PE/sport
o Providing leaders to support after school sport clubs
o Gold Award
In addition we will seek to:
- Support the development of a new subject leader
- Develop our clubs provision as well as running more sports competitions and increasing participation in sport and games; this includes a weekly Change4Life Club.
- Provide additional opportunities for swimming so that all children leaving us at the end of Key Stage 2 are able to swim at least 25m.
- Working to teach and promote cycling across all ages so that everyone can ride a bike safely for fitness, fun and health.
- Support and engage pupils who, for a variety of reasons, may be less active by providing funding so they can attend more school sports clubs and activities
- Buying resources and equipment to develop sports provision and development of the PE curriculum.
- Identifying and addressing individual professional development needs
- Providing diverse opportunities to widen engagement ie Salsa dancing
How will we monitor the impact?
The Senior Leadership Team and Governors will regularly review the impact of this spending through:
- Discussions with children
- Pupil and parent questionnaires
- Lesson observations and discussions with teachers
- Reviewing data regarding the take-up of sporting opportunities.
- Analysis of attainment and results of performance
The results will be published on the school website as and when they are available. We welcome any suggestions you may have regarding any aspect of our school’s provision.